Rules for the Art Contestant
Official Rules for the 2021 CAFOZONE Art Contestant
Thank you for your interest in creating art around the subject of Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations. Since there has been very little art done on this subject, cafozone.com, the sky’s the limit. You can present positive or negative images. There is quite a lot of news about disease and especially Covid 19 in workers in CAFOs, so that might be a channel. You can learn a lot more by cruising through our website, cafozone.com.
The winning presentations will create an emotional response in the viewer. A piece might wake people up to the health, environmental, and cruelty problems or it might present the positive, like a pile of cheap bacon. The only firm requirement is that artists do not break laws known as ag-gag laws that have been created to keep people out of CAFOs. Each state has different laws passed to protect CAFOs.
For inspiration, there are a lot of images and articles on the internet, including images on cafozone.com. Ideas include: Animal Confinement, Corporate Consolidation, Air and Water Pollution, Worker Abuse, including covid-19 among workers.
There’s no entry fee for this contest, but there is a limit of two items per artist. The deadline for the contest is May 30, 2021. There will be prizes of $1,000 grand prize and $500 each for two runner-up prizes. The money represents a sale of the original pieces and publication rights to CC’s Farm-O-Sphere, LLC. We will arrange details with the winners and pay for shipping.
We are looking for art that can inspire others. We hope that the contest engenders art that will be shared and used to illustrate publications like newsletters by non-profits. The pieces that win this contest, therefore, becomes part of the public domain, meaning “the state of belonging or being available to the public as a whole, and therefore not subject to copyright.” We will make every effort to publicize the winners and to be sure that the artist’s name is included when the winning work is displayed. If you wish your work to be anonymous, we will keep your name unknown.
Artists must be over age 18. No laws such as agricultural protection (ag-gag) laws may be broken by the artist. Art in all media is welcome.
All communications will be by e-mail. Be sure to put firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com into your address book so our notices don’t go to spam.
Here’s what we want from you:
1. E-mail a picture of your piece as part of the body of the e-mail, not an attachment, with description of the medium, size of the piece and an artist’s statement (who you are, where you live, how you became interested in CAFOs and what you want your piece to say to viewers). E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Pictures should be .jpg or .jpeg and at least 300 dpi. Save the files at “high” or “maximum” quality. Each artist may enter a maximum of two pieces. By entering, you give cafozone.com permission to display your images for promotion of this contest.
2. Entries will be screened by a panel of non-professional art lovers. Top ten entries may be displayed with artist statements and contact information on cafozone.com as promotion for contests in future years.
3. Entrant acknowledges that all work entered may be distributed to judges who will be selecting the winners, and Entrant agrees to release, indemnify, and hold CC’s Farm-OSphere, LLC, cafozone, its sponsors, and judges harmless for liability, damages, or claims for injury or loss to any person or property relating to, in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, participation.
4. By entering, entrant agrees to accept and be bound by the decisions of CC’s Farm-OSphere, LLC and its judges which are final and binding in all matters. Entrant agrees to be bound by all terms of these official rules as established herein.
5. Deadline is May 30, 2021.